Thursday 11 March 2010

tweet, tweet, tweet

Over the last week I have been I have been exploring the world of Twitter. Before I embarked on my exploration, the only experience I had of Twitter was through celebrity magazines who have started reporting celebrity ‘tweets’ which they think will be of interest. I was keen to explore twitter but did have some reservations, the main one being that, at heart, I am a verbose humanities students who dislikes text who usually uses far more words than I need! So I was a little horrified when I read that the definition of a tweet was ‘a single update of no more than 140 characters’.

This morning I have added friends who use Twitter to my long list of news and book tweets I decided to follow. I think tweeting works well in an environment which is very fast paced and for organisations who need to share just a little information with a lot of people. It does though only further fuel our appetite for immediate information and the desire to have what we want instantaneously.

The process of adding friends wasn’t too hard although I couldn’t search any of my existing accounts as I’ve only very recently got a Yahoo and gmail account and I only use them for the 23Things so don’t have a list of contacts on them. It was very helpful being able to search for all the 23Things tweet by putting ‘#ox23’ in the search box.

No comments:

Post a Comment