Wednesday 10 March 2010

The world of social networking

As my previous posts have suggested, I am really interested Web 2.0 but am a little hesitant on the how and why of the resources out there. Needless to say, I was a little apprehensive about using Facebook, something which I had used exclusively to say in touch with friends, as a library communication tool. Libraries, businesses, universities, charities are all populating Facebook pages in order to drum up support and publicise their causes. I think the first question to ask is whether readers want libraries to communicate with them via Facebook. My initial thoughts are no, but having looked at Queen’s College Library site, which boasts 2,000 fans, perhaps I am mistaken. So I have been converted into thinking Facebook pages for smaller libraries are a good idea but I can’t imagine this kind of page working for larger libraries.

Communicating on Facebook does not bring anything especially novel to the way libraries are interacting with their readers- we already have websites etc which are our main ways of conveying information- but it is an additional way of reaching of them. Looking round the library now I see a lot of Facebook pages on the screens but I don’t think any of them are checking library opening times or accessing reading lists…

No comments:

Post a Comment